Saturday, September 27, 2008

Salmon on the Rogue

Friday was Mrs. Leppek's annual 4th grade adventure on the Roaring Rogue. This is my third year in a row going on this trip. I was able to spend it this year with Camilla. This was made possible by my sweet mom. Without her taking Malachi to work with her and doubling as my clone for my double booked life, it would not have been possible. Thanks a million mom!
As they were searching for macro-invertabrates (bugs) in the river, Camilla caught a little fish. So curious looking was this fish that none of the scientists, teachers, or parents knew what it was. Hmmm. Makes me wonder.
My little fashionable ~mind of her own fairy~ was so into the disecting of Salmon. Oh how she loved the cool, smooth, slimy sides of the fish. The thousand or so orange colored eggs in the female. The sacks of milt that fertilize the eggs in the male. Entranced was she by the beating of the heart, the long kidney along its back, the pretty necklace shape of the gill once they have been removed, the fascinating feel of the eyeball. I could hardly pull her away, in fact I could not! She, the only one in her class to do so, brought some of those Salmon home with us. We have currently greeting all of our guests at the front door a bucket filled with water containing several eggs and a fin she sliced off as a souviner. Won't you come for a visit?

1 comment:

Thank heaven for little girls said...

I finally found your blog you gave me the wrong name!! LOL. It's great to see pictures of your family. Those sunflowers are huge. We miss you and hope to see you soon. Come out to Sunny San Antonio when the rain get's you blue this winter. With all my love.